Tuesday, March 10, 2015

She's Living Loud


I hadn't intended, when I started that I would write, counting this one, three different posts about the importance of identity and community and living out loud. But then someone sent me this video last night and I've watched it a couple times. Then I did what I should never have done, I read the comments.

Perhaps, for me, and I acknowledge having a sick sense of humour, were the weird comments about the subtitles. "THEY LIMITED HER WITH SUBTITLES." "I COULD UNDERSTAND HER PERFECTLY!" Yeah well, you self absorbed prats, if you could hear it then the subtitles aren't for you! Give me a freaking break. They never stop to think that their are others who might require subtitles as an accessibility issue.

Predictably there were a few that said that they didn't see her disability at all.

Well she does.

And she says it.

Several times.

S.E.V.E.R.A.L. times.

This video is powerful precisely because she acknowledges who she is and what she needs. She recognizes that there are those who will hold low expectations and demand less of her because she has Down Syndrome, because she has a disability. There is no discomfort in her voice as she speaks openly and honestly about who she is.

Out.

Proud.

Living outloudly.

There were also comments about the fact that she's reading from a script. This is said as a criticism. Well, then dust off your fingertips and send an email of great disappointment to Steven Harper (the Prime Minister of Canada for those lucky enough not to know) because he does the same.

But forget the comments. (Except here on Rolling Around in My Head because the readers and commenters here are an amazing community of people.) Concentrate on what she's saying, but more importantly how she is saying it.

I'm humming that wonderful tune:


1 comment:

Louna said...

That song brought tears to my eyes, even though I knew it already. A friend of mine sang it at the music competition of the local psychiatric. hospital, and she might not have sung as well as John Barrowman, but it was a powerful moment. Thank you for bringing it back. And of course, Megan Bomgaars speech is powerful as well. That's the power of accepting yourself and finding your own strength