Wednesday, September 20, 2017

I'm Reviewing The Situation

We were considering going to an area of town called The Old Mill Market and had nearly dispensed with the idea. These kinds of markets, in old buildings are often less than accessible and really frustrating for me as a shopper. So I went to a review site where customers can rate a place and write commentary. I was hopeful because there were nearly 100 ratings. I did a search for the word 'accessible' and when nothings showed up 'wheelchair and found, again, that nothing showed up. Not one review mentioned accessibility.

The front desk was our next shop and we were informed that, without a doubt the area was accessible. They explained that the name was misleading because it was where the old mill was but it was a fairly new development. Thus assured, we went.

When we got there we were met with a completely accessible experience. Although I never had to use the toilets so don't know about that, but all the stores I went to, I got into. And, most importantly, Joe and I spent time talking about things other than disability, accessibility, cut curbs and ramps. A nice break. We had a good time.

Got home and went to the review site and reviewed the area both from a shoppers point of view and from an accessible point of view. I used accessible in the title of my review and the word wheelchair in the body of the description of the area. I wrote about other things too, of interest to all readers, but I wanted any other disabled sod who wanted to find out if it was accessible to be able to search and find my review. We almost never went. We would have missed out.

Please, those of you who have the time and the inclination go to a travel review site and review the places in your own town from a disability perspective, write reviews when you travel. It doesn't take long and it's a way we can help each other out. Even if you don't have a mobility disability, write about your own personal disability experience for others with similar disability or accommodation needs.

We'll help each other and occasionally, a bad review of a place will change things. I had a hotel write a response and then talk to me on the phone, when I called as asked, and they completely altered how they did the barring in the bathroom and shower. They loved feedback from someone with a disability rather than from a consultant without one. So it can  make a difference. It's the power of social media to inform and to inspire change.

I'm beginning to feel like an advert so I'll stop now.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Funny you should write about this today - a couple of days ago I did just that, I wrote reviews on a travel site about several restaurants, a hotel, a presidential library, and a river cruise, and I made sure to mention wheelchair accessibility for all of them.

ABEhrhardt said...

I'll remember that when I go places.

We're about to visit Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs) in California to pick a place to live for the rest of our lives, and I've already asked some, and have gotten mixed information about accessibility.

Many claim their intention is to keep people living in their own units (Independent Living) as long as possible, even to the point of allowing members to have outside Home Health Aides or ones available from the facility to help in IL (at a cost, of course), to postpone the move to Assisted Living (AL) or Skilled Nursing (SN) units in the same facilities.

I'm going to be paying a lot of attention, as I already use a walker for long distances, and want bars in the shower, etc., though I don't need (yet) a unit with counters for a wheelchair, etc.

It occurs to me that I should write about what I find.